Wednesday, February 6, 2013

family of the heart

Two days after my birthday, while savoring a coconut macaroon at lunch, I thought about 'family of the heart.' The macaroon was a birthday present from a wonderfully considerate, sweet, and devoted friend--the kind one doesn't come across every day, and yet one of the 'crew' I consider family first, and friends second. It's not just because she would remember that no one in my household would ever consider buying me coconut, either! She's stood by me, listened to my rants, stopped by or opened her door on a moment's notice--with or without wine and/or cheese--and reminded me many times what it means to not judge a book by its cover--literally and figuratively. These are traits that most of my family of the heart share, to some degree. Distance makes some of the visits virtual, or with lengthy intervals in between, but the connection between us is clear.

These are the friends who don't require 'facetime.' They don't need lengthy updates about how I've been and what I've done since the last time we talked, but will listen attentively to each detail, asking questions, laughing and crying with me if that's what comes up. My family of the heart are those who understand, instinctively, that which is in my heart. Many are people it seems I've known forever, even after a short time. Some of us have kid connections, some school, some a common interest. All understand that what introduced us is not the most important, or best part of our friendship.

Some, I've known a lifetime, and others I've met recently. All have affected me so deeply, I can't imagine life without them. Although some are related by blood or marriage, many are not. They are all the first ones that would be on the guest list if I were to plan a gathering for an important life event. The age range is broad, the lifestyles diverse, yet each is a brother or sister to me, or a cousin--a peer. They all know who they are, and they are themselves: completely.

I love each of these people. They are among the blessings in my life, and I think of them, pray for them, so very often. Their pains and their joys are mine; our spirits are intertwined. Because of that, we can ease each others' burdens, increase each others' bliss. Our common home is in our hearts, as interconnected as they are. I would love for each of them to meet the others, as we are all part of one great whole. I'm blessed by them, my family of the heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment