Monday, February 10, 2014

full of grace

On this date, seven years ago, my father opened his eyes for the last time as my sister and I sang to him a prayer to Our Lady. It was 3:05. Today, an alarm goes off on my phone each day at 3:05 as a reminder to say a little prayer: "Jesus, I trust in you. I will sit at your feet and listen to you speak." It has little to do with that day, and yet everything.

I was devastated at that moment. Standing at his bedside as his heart beat its last, I felt that I'd been cursed with the experience. The last thing I wanted to remember about that day was that moment. But my sister, when she looked at the time, cried out that it was the hour of Divine Mercy. I had no idea what she was talking about, or why she found it to be so fitting that we had been singing the Hail Mary at that moment. It would take years of searching for me to realize the power in that moment. And now, after seven years, I almost wish I could experience it all again so that the memories could be different.

The first thing is that I wasn't even supposed to be there. I had an appointment to get my hair cut at noon, and after that, the earliest I could hope to arrive was around 5:30. Dad would be fine, after all, and it was silly to change everything just because he'd been taken to the hospital. But I'd cancelled the appointment, and left at 10. My sister was surprised to see me. My brother had arrived before me, and had been visiting--sitting vigil, I realized. I was taken aback by what I saw in Dad's corner room of the ICU. When we heard that another brother's flight had just arrived, I offered to pick him up, but since I was the newest arrival, I was told to stay. Brother left to get brother while sister stayed with sister. Still two siblings outstanding, and none of us wanted to believe.

Not really knowing what to do, we chatted awkwardly, then began to sing together. Eyes opened, eyes searched, eyes closed, heart stopped. And I was filled with tremendous guilt. My brother had gotten there first; he should have been there. My brother had just landed; we should have waited to pray. Mom should have been holding his hand; not us. Who wants to be there to see someone they love die, anyway? Guilt gave way to anger, frustration, pain, sorrow......questions.

So much has happened, has changed, has been explained since then. So much has healed my soul, although there is still -- will always be -- a gaping hole where he would be in my life. When I have questions or complaints about life. When the boys do wonderful or irritating things. When I just need to hear his voice, feel his hug, see his silly dance, feel his shoulder under my head.

Not long ago, I read about a volunteer initiative at a hospital that ensures that no one dies alone. These people sit waiting on call or in the chapel at the hospital and sit with those whose families are not available, or who don't have families, and love them to the next world. Sometimes with prayer or song, sometimes in silence, but always with a hand to hold. The article warmed my heart, and made me long for the opportunity in my own community to be a part of something so generous, so loving, so beautiful, and I realized I had turned a corner. Being there at that bedside was a blessing, whether I wanted it to be or not. I still wish my brothers and my other sister could have seen him before he died, and I still wish I could share a cup of coffee or a glass of wine with him, but the most important thing is that we were there, and we recognized his life in his death.

I've since learned so much about Divine Mercy, and about mercy in general (though 'in general' does not begin to address the beauty and magnitude of God's mercy) and I am so awed by the timing and the significance of the moment. After seven years, I'm willing to say that I would not give up that memory, despite years of trying to forget. Thank you, Lord, for answering that prayer in the way that only You know is best.

No comments:

Post a Comment