Tuesday, July 14, 2015

friend and neighbor

A visit with a dear friend left me refreshed and reassured. As our conversation rolled over and over on my heart a few hours later, and as I once again thanked God for sending her my way unexpectedly, I realized just how thankful I truly am.
The meaning of true friendship is pretty deep. And complicated. As I tried to express my gratitude, as I tried to plumb it's depth, I thought about my relationship with Jesus. It has been quite a while since I found myself awake for no reason at 3am, other than being gently beckoned to time alone with Him. Sitting here in the dark with a blanket listening to the rain, I am again struck by the added dimension of simplicity.
Often as I pray, I hope for a response -- words, a touch, a feeling. None of my prayers go unanswered, I'm certain, but many times I'm on the wrong frequency and can't see, hear, or understand. This visit with my friend, I think, had elements of each. I learn and teach that we should strive to see Christ in others, and all too often that falls on my ears as direction for looking past undesirable traits. If I am to see Christ in my neighbor, that should include those I already love, respect, and care for! Obvious, maybe; but that response I long for today came in a very human person.
I wasn't expecting that.
Lightning and thunder and sleepiness are creeping into this time. And comfort and peace and a knowledge that tomorrow is today. I have friends who bear Christ to me, and a friend in Christ who strengthens me. All is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment