Friday, March 23, 2012

personal connections

Lately I've been wondering why things have been getting to me as much as they have. It's frustrating to me to be frustrated--I prefer to take life one day at a time, and look at the bright side. Instead, I've been feeling rather cold and prickly every day. I've come to the conclusion that in addition to needing more warm fuzzies, I have become seriously deprived of adult interaction. I guess a few minutes here and there at work, and contact via email and/or text message is NOT ENOUGH!!

People who know me, or have looked at my profile, know that I am not one to go out of my way to be with people. For reasons I don't understand in the least, the thought of being around people fills me with some emotion related to dread, but nowhere near as strong--and yet, once I am in the company of people, I feel so much better. Parties, games, gatherings of all kinds are a bit of an effort to attend. In all honesty, I've wondered if I'm alone in feeling that way, or if everyone thinks they'd rather just stay home, despite enjoying the outcome of social interaction.

There are points, though, when I realize I have been avoiding social situations longer than is good for me. I start to feel the world closing in on me, and my thoughts start to crowd together. I do sleep well, though, and start every day refreshed and ready to go, so please don't worry about me! :) From experience, I know that I can survive quite happily for a month or more at a time as a solitary entity, surrounded by no more than my wonderful family. Mixed into my latest need for a 'hit' is having to really absorb the fact that the dynamic of my family is about to face its biggest shake-up. When our oldest goes off to college, nothing about our family will be the same. Being happy about that does not change the fact that it stresses my psyche--whether I'm thinking about it or not.

So, for the first time in a long time, I'm faced with the decision to make a huge effort for me. The last time I had to do this so consciously was when our oldest was born and I joined a New Moms group. Too bad there is no "New College Family" support group where I can go and meet people who understand what no one else can. (read: what I don't really know how to talk about with the people I already know because I don't just want reassurances or to be told how great my kid is and that he'll do great. I want to talk to people who are also scared to death that the past 18 years have not worked, and that no matter how happy I am about his happiness, I'm still scared to death.) I love my friends dearly, and know that every single one of them would gladly listen to my fears, laugh and cry with me. I'm just plain scared to share some fears, hopes, even successes.

Tonight, we're having dinner with some great friends (ironically, friends we met when I was taking college classes!), and I know the visit will energize me, and bring me back to me. I also know that under normal circumstances, I would allow myself to think it would be enough to sustain me. Thankfully, I have the most wonderful friends, and have a grown-up evening planned with another amazingly warm friend on Sunday.

Taking care of me so I can take care of them is something I've always known is necessary. What I had forgotten, or maybe not even realized, is that what I need to do to take care of me is not a static thing. At times, exercise and diet are the keys to well-being. At others, as now, the extroverted part of myself needs nourishing so that the more comfortable introvert does not become a speck. Life is good. :)

3 comments:

  1. Consider reading the book "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking" by Susan Cain. I'll bet you like it.
    -RMH

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually have that book on my wishlist! I'll have to move it to the top of my list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've bought the book, but haven't started it yet. I feel empowered just having it in my possession! :)

    ReplyDelete