Thursday, April 11, 2013

things in common

Tonight, we "discussed" the Story of a Soul. Really, the words of Saint Therese of Lisieux were just the jumping off point of, what I found to be, a great discussion on all kinds of "little" things that were far more related than they may have seemed. None of us had finished the book, and in fact, one of us hadn't even started, but Therese is right in saying that her Little Way is Simple. Please note that the word "simple" was used, and not the word "easy!" Following her formula for sainthood is something that she worked at for her whole life. I'm already nearly twice the age she was when she died, and am only beginning to be able to consider my own littleness, let alone embrace my own faults and shortcomings!

My takeaway, as so often lately, is that I am not alone. My journey's rest stops, historical markers, dives and great sights are all being visited by others headed in the same direction. I'm not the only one that's realized a feeling of missing the Lenten season--for the first time ever! And I'm not the only one wondering if that's just a little nutty! I'm not the only one who has worried that having questions, or being confused, or just plain not knowing sets me apart, separates me from those with 'more' faith, or 'stronger' faith. [I just now realized, with my computer on my lap, that some of those people with 'more' or 'stronger' faith might just be louder than me. Just like in my secular life. Why have I always felt there must be a dividing line? Why have I been afraid?] We all have obstacles, and we all need to determine how to face them.

For a long, long time, I faced them on my own. I looked at a problem, and figured out what I would need to do to solve it, fix it, get around it. And it's funny, because typing that, I could hear my husband saying to me, "Use your resources," by which he means, "Call me if you have a question about that," referring to some programs and packages I use at work. It made me smile because the greatest resource I have at my disposal (other than my husband's computer expertise) can be summed up in what has become almost my mantra: Guide me.

The direction is not always clear, and I don't always remember to ask. And I am not always as patient as I probably should be. [can you say, "understatement?"] But I have found that each and every time I have sincerely said, "Guide me," or the more familiar version, "Thy will be done," I have come out in a much better place than I know I would have, left to my own devices. I'm learning. I'm learning to listen for the guidance, and I'm learning to follow. It's slow going sometimes, and there are times when I feel as though I'm stuck, and I'm concerned at times that I will run up against a wall, or some other test, that will wear me down.

Saint Therese says to be as a child; to bear all things that come to you; to admit shortcomings, and honor them as things to work on. The more I work on these things, the more I will find in the story of her short life to inspire me. I plan to read it again. And again. And when I feel as though my progress is slow, I will follow her advice and persevere.

Together with others who need God's love.

1 comment:

  1. Truly enjoyed our time together this evening, and I can't wait to get a "real" copy of the book! May we alwasy be together with others who need God's love, as that is where we will all find our strength!

    ReplyDelete