Wednesday, September 11, 2013

to remember always

For the first time since 9/11, I had to work an 8 hour day on this date. In some ways, I was glad for the distraction; but I also feel pretty conflicted about that. If you scroll back through my blogs, you will find other 9/11 posts, and you will see that I, like many, deeply believe that sharing stories, thoughts, feelings, and emotions from that day in 2001, and the days and weeks, even months afterward is not only helpful for healing, but imperative for honoring and remembering the heros, the victims, their families and their friends. One of my dearest friends approached me last year with an idea for compiling such stories, so that we can continue to teach our children about the many facets of 9/11/01 and the attacks on the United States. Throughout the day today, as she could muster the strength and the words, she posted her story of that day. With her permission, and with only very minor editing, those posts follow, along with a comment from a friend of hers. Never, never can we forget.

Allie's story:

I am reflecting on my thoughts and emotions on this day, 12 years ago. Getting ready to attend a military funeral for Uncle Dick Mancuso (love that man!). As the day unfolded, the uncertainty, the disbelief, the absolute inability to wrap my brain around it. The color guard and playing of Taps at the burial, everyone in tears, both for Uncle Dick, and for our nation. We need to share these thoughts and emotions with our children. If we do not learn from history, we are doomed to repeat it. Every year, I have a conversation with them, trying to put into words the overwhelming loss of life and security that day, and many more days to come. Never take our freedom for granted, Never fail to whole-heartedly thank a service member, Never become complacent in your patriotism.......NEVER - EVER FORGET!
 

 8:46am, 9/11/01,
Reports on the radio that a small plane apparently ran into the World Trade Center....thinking, Wow, how in the world does that happen?

Go on with prep work at the restaurant, getting ready to leave at 10:00am to join family for Uncle Dick's funeral.......

9:03am, 9/11/01
 Barry, Jr. comes running into the kitchen yelling "we are being attacked, it’s terrorist!!" By that time, news crews on the scene and captured the second plane hitting WTC....."what???? Oh My God! Wait, What???? Was that just a person falling from the building? Oh My God!!!"

We are now all glued to the TV, tears falling down my face, mouths hanging open........
9:37am, 9/11/01
 Reports that a plane has hit the Pentagon, the belief that multiple planes are now "missing", speculation they could be headed for the Capital, the west coast, military bases, etc...all flights ordered to land, no take-offs....."Oh My God, this seriously cannot be happening.....it has to end, right????? Thank God Anthony did not go to school (K) today, everyone is at home getting ready for the funeral......"

9:59am, 9/11/01
 Tower Collapses!!! "Oh My God......do you know how many people work in those buildings???? Thousands!!! Oh My God!!! I have to get home....."

10:03am, 9/11/01
 Reports of a plane crashing in PA..possibly on course for DC ...."Where is Shanksville???? Still multiple planes missing... what is next? Driving home now, have to get to the rest of my family.....I get home, they have no TV on, no radio, they are trying to hold everything together for the funeral....I say, do you know what is happening, that we are under attack??? They have no clue, and tell me they do not want to know.....WHAT???? YOU NEED TO KNOW!!! I tell them some of it, have no idea what they hear......everyone is getting ready to leave for the funeral.....

10:28AM, 9/11/01
 Second Tower has collapsed.....driving to funeral home in Linglestown, [PA] with Aunt Patty, listening to the radio.....planes still missing, all military bases are on high alert......we have to go to Indiantown Gap after the funeral home for burial. How will that work? Will they allow us to proceed with our plans? PRAY, PRAY, PRAY.....Thank God my family is all together and not spread out.....together is the best case scenario....I get a call from Uncle Dick's stepson (whom I have never met or spoken to), who is travelling from DC up for the funeral.....Of course he is running late......he just drove by the pentagon on the highway, there were flames and smoke......traffic is at a standstill....he is continuing on and promised to keep me posted...."

10:50ish, 9/11/01
 Walking into funeral home, experiencing the "normal" emotions of attending a loved one’s funeral, keeping an eye on my little ones, making sure they are handling this new experience okay, heart is racing from anxiety. Wondering what else is happening while I am not in front of the TV or a radio.......take a deep breath......take care of your family......Pray....

11:40ish, 9/11/01
 Leaving funeral home, beautiful tribute to the life of Uncle Dick.....kids are holding up like troopers....get into car, listening to the radio.....not much has changed, multiple planes still missing, military bases on high alert.....call Uncle Dick's stepson, he is finally making good time and looks like he will be able to make it to Indiantown Gap on time for the burial.....we share what news we have heard.....express our shock and disbelief.....try to comfort each other. Will we be safe at Indiantown Gap? Of course we will; the Gap is very, very small compared to other possible "targets".....or will we? Why am I being arrogant in thinking that nothing this horrific could possibly happen to my family? What makes us so special? No one else woke up today thinking "I am a target"...... The overwhelming knowledge takes over all of my thoughts....At least we will all be together if something should happen......I have Doug; Anthony and Danielle have their Mommy and Daddy.....

12:30ish, 9/11/01
 Standing at the gravesite, Indiantown Gap, full color guard in place.....flag is folded and presented.....The color guard leader shared with us the following: "Please rest assured, we will never forget your loved one because we were chosen to honor our fellow serviceman on this of all days. This day will forever be imprinted in our hearts and minds." Taps playing in the distance......not a dry eye anywhere, including the guard......Many thoughts racing through my mind, many prayers passing through my soul.....Rest In Peace, Uncle Dick....you are truly loved.....

3:30ish, 9/11/01
 Had to go back to work, all of my family and friend stayed at my house to continue the celebration of Uncle Dick's life.....the restaurant is dead, everyone that does come in, wants to sit near the TV, this has been a very long, emotional, nerve wracking day, to say the least. I go home, hug and kiss everyone in sight and try to get some sleep. God Bless Us, America!

9/12/01
 The lack of background noise from airplanes is deafening......the next few days are full of fear, uncertainty, thinking everything around you looks suspicious.....go to work, go to school and pray....The days are oddly filled with hope, also. The passengers on Flight 93 have proven to be real life heroes.....They acted on instinct and put everyone else in the country ahead of themselves.....would I ever be able to demonstrate such strength? Messages left to loved ones, saved and cherished forever.

 I distinctly remember the day I heard the first airplane fly overhead, it stopped me in my tracks, I watched its progress and wondered where it was going, and who were all of those brave people on board.....

 
Jill’s story:
Middletown [PA] was never so quiet and living next door to the airport*, I can say that's the God's honest truth. The worst was going into work that night for UPS at the airport and everyone just walking around, wondering what to do...our plane couldn't go anywhere. A bunch of us went out on the ramp and just stared up into the night sky and watched a pair of F-16 fighters pass above us with the plumes of steam from TMI in the background...yeah we had to worry about that, too...totally surreal and unforgettable. A couple days later when things got back to "normal", a trade show container came through our facility addressed to WTC # 2; I called our supervisor over and just looked at him and said, "what do we do with this???" He looked at me, shook his head and softly said, "send it back..."

*Harrisburg International

No comments:

Post a Comment