Monday, September 2, 2013

held accountable

Accountability comes up often as a topic at work. And at home, there is a certain sense of accountability in the reasons for following our parental instructions when it comes to the boys working together to get chores done, or reporting in as we've instructed them. But accountability in my faith is something I had never considered until recently, and it's been on my mind ever since.

The only reason I began considering it is that I was asked, flat out, to whom are you accountable in your faith. That's quite a paraphrase of the actual question, but captures the essence, as well as the crux of what's been echoing through my mind. I struggled with answering the question--one of a couple on my 'sheet of paper' that had me thinking and praying quite a bit. [As an aside: the thinking and praying on these questions was not like any I had done before. It changed me a bit; nudging my steps on the path before me. Quite a moving experience, if you'll pardon what looks like a pun.]

On paper, after a belly laugh in my soul, I wrote the truth as of that day: Other than wanting to be a good example for my children, I had never even considered external accountability.

I haven't stopped thinking about it, though, and when the subject came up again the other night, I paid close attention to what I was hearing. That conversation was actually about Confession, and a dear friend suggested we could be "Confession buddies." Her husband stated what a good method that is. And what I heard was accountability. I don't know if we'll follow through or not, on that particular 'activity'--I have a whole bunch of questions that I admit amount to excuses, but really need to be addressed, gently and personally. I do see the benefit of that kind of accountability, and the comfort that would ultimately come from it--for both of us.

I'm left wondering, though: where am I actually lacking accountability? Where in my spiritual life would more accountability help me to grow? Do I expect enough of myself, since I am, at present, just holding myself accountable? Or am I on the right track because by holding myself accountable, rather than doing, learning or being in order to fulfill someone else's expectations really puts my journey as something between God and me? I know that in the end, He is the only one I will need to answer to. But I also know that I do not, cannot, have the strength or knowledge to journey alone. If there should be more accountability, where do I find it? In whom?

The answers will come slowly, I'm sure. (It's a 'journey, not a race!') The important thing is the asking, and beyond: seeking the answers.

1 comment:

  1. footnote: My husband tells me I took great liberties in paraphrasing the question. In actuality, the original words are not nearly as important as the resulting searching, imho. :)

    ReplyDelete