Thursday, August 7, 2014

off the fence

Today was an especially nice one. Not particularly extraordinary, but special. Likely because it was somewhat ordinary. And yet....

I slept poorly last night, and forced myself out of bed after the snooze wondering if I'd be able to function. Before Mass, I asked for company today: guidance, support, friendship in my work, in my words, in my interactions. "Lord, be with me."

Leaving the parking lot after my evening meeting, reviewing in my mind what we had covered, I started to say "Thank you," and began to cry. The entire day unrolled, a highlight reel of beautiful moments. Each one related in some way to the next, and also to my morning prayer. Overwhelmed with gratitude, I turned off the radio and offered thanks.

Not long ago, I had a really terrible, horrible, no good day (as the story goes), and could not find the blessing in the day. Not a single thing for which to be thankful. I also knew I would not get to sleep that night until I found something - anything! - to thank God for. Eventually I did, though right now I can't remember the good or the bad of that day. But tonight I found myself thanking God, too, for that day, because since then I've been more aware, more attuned to the blessings, big or small, that color my days.

So in the car, I cried, grateful for a Friend to walk with me each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment