Wednesday, March 18, 2015

front and back

From Saturday morning's homily (3/15/15) -- I keep thinking about it...

The Gospel was Luke 18:9-14, about the Pharisee and the tax collector praying in the temple. You know the one, the Pharisee keeps listing all the reasons he's grateful to be great, but all of them are in comparison to someone else, namely the tax collector. Meanwhile, the tax collector is pretty sure he isn't even worthy to pray because of all he knows he's done, as well as what he's pretty sure he might have done unwittingly. [this is my interpretation]

Father pulled out a blank sheet of paper, and said this particular lesson had stuck with him for all these years since seminary. After this reading at Mass, the professor had each of the men pull out a piece of paper and list the things they are good at. Anything and everything they could think of. Happily, they filled the paper, noting things from remembering prayers to playing soccer, and so much in between. Then came the hard part. "Turn the paper over and list the things you are not so good at."

Even hearing the retelling, I could see where this is what hit home. I sat thinking of the things I might have listed on the 'good at' side that either really belonged on the other, or could feasibly fit on both. How many of the things I am good at do I ask for help with? More than I used to, that's for sure. How many of the things that I'm not so good at do I avoid altogether, despite the fact that they very well may be gifts in disguise? How often am I truly honest about either side of the paper?

And do I thank God enough for the gift of me, faults and all? Do I ask forgiveness when I should? Or am I preoccupied?

Time to pull out a piece of paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment