Monday, August 15, 2011

perseverence

I don't understand football.

I've been trying since high school, but I think I get distracted too easily. That little ball gets lost to me on that great big field with those boy/men dressed in so much padding. Instead, I get lost in the teamwork, the choreography of the plays. Watching the players run, turn, pass, catch, tackle, I see a performance--one that at times doesn't work out as planned. For the most part, though, I see talent, drive, desire, dedication and an awareness and knowledge of something that seems far beyond me.

Our eldest son plays football. He starts pre-season for his senior year today. I used to worry on this day, and throughout the season, that he was playing for the wrong reasons: to impress someone, to get out of playing something else, to be accepted in some group. I've come to realize that most of my worries are related to not knowing what the heck is going on on the field. True, football is risky, and I still worry about injuries, but I am no longer concerned about Jonathan as a person on the field and on the team. Rather, I see that football has helped him to learn about himself--his abilities, his limits, his reach. Funny, that's exactly what dance did for me at his age.....

There is a new coach this year. He is very charismatic, and seems to have the heart to back up what he says, what he believes about these boys. He is enthusiastic, energetic, and, very importantly, really seems to understand kids, boys, players. I like him. I like what he has to say. What I really like to see, though, is that the team responds to him, and he is working at including the parents, the staff, the community in the team spirit he is fostering. He has a keen respect for the game, which he translates well to an honest respect for his players, our sons. In return, the players respect him and his coaching staff, and have a real desire to do well--not just for him, or for us, their parents, but also, ultimately, for each other and themselves. I don't think this will be a team of hot-shots or standouts, I think we will see a team that works together to make the team look good.

Every year, I've tried to better understand the game. A year and a half ago, I bought Football for Dummies, by Howie Long, and determined to learn. I haven't gotten far--have I mentioned that I get distracted with football?--but I will try again. It's Jonathan's last year with this team, and I want to know what he's doing out there. I'm proud of him for sticking it out, and for becoming someone his teammates look up to as a team member. I'm impressed that he worked out all summer long, looking forward to this day, to this season.

This new coach, he told us parents that the work they do with the kids, what they make the kids do, is hard. That the boys will want to give up from time to time. That what he wants to do is guide them in supporting each other. To do this, he often breaks practice and sets into quarters, like a game. At times, at that point where they might think they are done, he says, "It's the end of the third quarter. You can't stop now! You need to finish!" I like that. I like the idea that there is only so much left when things get tough. I like that the tunnel will end, even if you don't see the light, so you might as well go forward. It's better than worrying that the light is not from the sky.....

Like the players, I will finish out the game. I will pull out my book, and keep reading. With the indulgence of my husband, sons and friends, I will ask questions. And through it all, I will continue to see the beauty in teamwork; the choreography of football footwork; the performance of a game. Because, as Coach said last night, "When you feel like you want to quit, there is usually more there. You just don't know it." Life lessons at football practice. Yep, I really do like this guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment