Monday, December 24, 2012

top of the world

Yesterday, despite high wind warnings, the extended Team Tanguay decided to check out Grandfather Mountain. We bundled up, loaded 3 cars, and drove the 16 miles down one mountain and up another. Grandfather Mountain provides an audio tour for the drive up to the parking lot at the top. We listened to facts about the mountain and the park, while drinking in the wide open vistas--especially wide open because the road had no guardrail. At all. Not even on the switchbacks. By the time we were halfway up, I was near frantic, leaning as far to the center of the vehicle as I could, and telling the boys (and Guy!) to stop laughing at me so I could hear the CD. I was laughing, too, but the tears my son captured on "film" were mostly there from terror. I spent the drive up saying I needed to try to breath, that we were going to die, that Guy was driving too fast, commanding him not to look at the beautiful views, on and on.

Reaching the parking lot, the boys roared with laughter that there was no guardrail on the perimeter, either. They encouraged their father to park directly on the edge, which he, because he loves me dearly, did! The next question from the boys concerned my getting out of the van. They didn't believe me when I told them the problem was being on wheels. Sure enough, everything about my demeanor--and heart rate!--changed dramatically as my shoes touched pavement. Truly, there is no problem with edges when I have my feet on the ground.

The views were worth every minute of sheer terror. The world went on forever in every direction, except up. Above us, the heavens stretched in all remaining directions. The pamphlet we were given at the admission booth mentioned that one never feels as grounded as when they are at the top of the mountain. I must say, I concur. Being at the summit, crossing the Mile High Swinging Bridge, and picking our way along the crags beyond, I felt more rooted to the earth than on an average day nearer to sea level.

Why is that? What is it about the wonders of nature that makes me feel more? Certainly related is the awesome power of the wind, in this particular case. It's an amazing place, and I could have easily stayed for another hour or so without really noticing the cold, for it was cold. The record wind gusts recorded by the anemometer at the top of the bridge were 115mph. Before we headed out, gusts of 110mph were being reported, and sustained winds of 50-55mph. The car thermometer told us the outside temp at the parking lot was approximately 44 degrees--not super cold, but with the wind chill.... I love mountains, and oceans; rivers and lakes, and the woods. I consider them all to be special blessing areas; places where I can be alone and contemplate my place in the world, or where I can be with others, as yesterday, observing the small details that make nature beautiful.

For places like Grandfather Mountain, I am grateful. For the ability to laugh and cry, I am grateful. For the family, both immediate and extended, and the joy we share together, I am grateful. For the changes in my life since last year, I am grateful. For the future, I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment