Tuesday, March 26, 2013

progress

This past week of Lent has been the most challenging for me. While the weeks prior have had their own challenges, this week was filled with additional interruptions of various sorts. When I realized I had missed a day, and was on the verge of missing a second, my first inclination was to justify by telling myself that I had done something else, made some other sacrifice that would even out my original promises. The difference this year, is that I realized how futile the justification truly is. I can rationalize all I want, but the fact is, I made the promises to God; personally and privately, to be sure, yet a vow, nonetheless. In almost the same moment that I tried to excuse myself, I was filled with the understanding that I could start again, then and there, and get back on track.

As I'd hoped, my Lenten sacrifice feels far less so, and is becoming a habit that I enjoy, and that brings some peace to my day, and my heart. I'm imperfect, and will forever struggle to keep up with my new good habit. For reasons I have yet to understand, good habits are harder to continue than bad habits. Or, put more simply, good habits are easier to break than bad habits! Goodness is quieter, less noticeable. Why is that? Goodness brings more of a sense of well-being.

Why does temptation draw us in so?

No comments:

Post a Comment