Sunday, March 3, 2013

something to work on

"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends" John 15:13
~~How do you interpret this?
I've read this verse many, many times and, until friday, I had always interpreted it very literally. It's interesting how revelation comes as we need it to..


This was a friend's status update the other day, and it really got me thinking. My immediate thought, upon reading it, was that I had so many things to say in response, and therefore, a perfect prompt. Then a few hours later, another friend texted me with another question about how to handle the bullying her son is enduring at school; bullying that is so consistent that he comes home angry and/or in tears on a regular basis. He's 15. And not normally prone to being emotional.

Immediately, I saw the connection (because these kinds of things really do not happen coincidentally!) and realized my answer to Shawna's original post needed focus.

My first thoughts about interpretation of John's words involved stepping out of oneself for the sole benefit of another, and that things like giving up one's time or forgiving someone count. The text was a message that set me straight. While I still am pretty sure that I was on the right track, and I'm not supposed to only take this passage literally, I was a bit discomfited by the realization that came to me while conversing with this friend. And there's a possibility that it might just be easier to die for someone than to speak up about a wrong, to stand up and stand firm. Not when it's one's own child--that is part of the job, and instinctual, to a certain extent. (still not exactly easy, by any means!)

What I had realized is that there are times when it seems easier to go with the flow, or to sweep something under the rug, or to let someone else make the hard or scary decisions. Yet another friend says "No one has any right to make you feel less than." To those who try to make us feel less than, we do need to learn to stand up; but, further, when we see or know that anyone is being made to feel less than, we should lay down ourselves in order to stand up.

I sound like I'm talking in circles, but in my mind, it's simple to understand, and yet, very rarely, done well. If I stand up to a bully for the sake of a friend (friend here meaning anyone who needs defending) in order to feel good about myself--because I had once been through the same torment, for instance--or to impress or even repay another, then I am doing a good thing, but not necessarily a good deed. However, if I stand up with no thought to how it makes me look, or how it may come back at me, or how painful the memory might later be, then aren't I laying my own self aside, giving of my heart and soul, simply for the sake of another? While this makes sense to me, and seems a simple exercise, I cannot say that I have successfully completed it often. Mostly because I get distracted, I think, and start to fret about my own fears, memories, demons.

Something to work on. But not by myself. I realize that I likely cannot lay down my life without the support of faith and guidance, and knowledge of right versus wrong, love versus hate, good versus evil. Those distinctions are not measured by my own personal yardstick or experience; that is not my place. Laying aside my pride, my fears, my own priorities and needs will take--should take--a great act of more than just courage; likely an act of mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment