Wednesday, June 5, 2013

faith does matter

Tonight is the last in our current Faith Matters series at church. Although I started going as an excuse to get Mom out around people, the weekly nourishment of my faith has become so much more. Mom knows some people now, it's true.....and so do I. More importantly, we've come to know each other, ourselves and others, too. We've learned about our faith history, the grace of Mary and of Jesus, and about the power of mercy. We've prayed with each other, celebrated, fretted and pondered. We've grown. And by 'we,' I really mean 'I,' but in the process have come to truly appreciate the presence that is always with me, in me, a part of me--my travel guide, as it were.

I find myself wondering where I will go next, though I have no doubt the next steps will be chosen well. As I started to work out the words of the previous sentence, the church bells in town started chiming. "Do not be afraid, I am with you. I have called you each by name." Tears of friendship (what else could I call them?) Sprang to my eyes, and I heard Isaiah's words clearly in my heart, and I could say confidently, "No fear today, Lord. I trust in you. And in uour plan for me."

Faith does matter. It matters in the needful and fearful times, and it matters in the joyful and jubilant times. But the times in between, the everyday, ordinary times are the beautiful faith building times--when the simple sound of birds singing lifts your my heart, when a smile lights up a face, when the day's blessings are the fact of being.

(These church bells are like a soundtrack to my thoughts tonight! Now Morning Has Broken....)

Wednesday has become a favorite rest stop in my weekly journey, a family gathering with people I hardly knew a few months ago. Thank you, Lord, for leading me there. Please continue to guide me.

1 comment:

  1. I am so thankful to Him that we were brought together through our faith journeys (one of my many BAKER Bs). And...sometime I will have to share with you the reason that my blogspot address is Isaiah43Verse1 - check it out - coincidence, I think not! Faith does matter!

    ReplyDelete