Thursday, July 24, 2014

with me, always

This morning, as I drove to work (where thoughts waft and blow on the wind through the sunroof and the windows), I got to thinking about hugs. My husband is out of town, and I missed our morning hug that sometimes amounts to just a quick arm across shoulders, but still stamps the day official. That shoulder thought made me remember that a friend whose shoulder I can always count on is also out of town. Just as I was about to make what usually looks the next logical connection--that I would just have to wait for those particular interactions for a few days and deal with that particular loneliness--I remembered.

I am never alone.

Never. I smiled and said, "I was quick today! I know you are here for me. Thank you, Lord, for being my friend." The lonely feeling eased, my heart rate actually slowed a bit, and I felt the warmth of my heart opening. Where I had been missing a physical hug and an emotional shoulder, I began to feel a hug in my soul.

A really nice way to start the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment