Tuesday, August 7, 2012

peace and a pool vac

Today I'll be going to work early to vacuum the pool. Although I'm irritated at the reason I can't just toss the robot in, I'm not minding that I will have the solitude and peaceful time. This means I won't have time to do yoga today, but I can practice yoga philosophies while working. There is a zen-like quality to vacuuming a pool; everything must be done purposefully and slowly, rhythmically and with a light touch. The only problem I ever have is that I tend to sunburn while vacuuming.

I love the water. I prefer nature to the pool, but still the water is peaceful. As I gaze into the water, I can think, open my mind, wander through my thoughts, meandering without having to connect one to another. When vacuuming the pool, I don't usually come to conclusions, as I do when watching currents or waves, or even when vacuuming the floors at home. Rather, the thoughts come and go of their own accord.

While thinking through is more often my goal, and necessary, I find the thoughtless thinking to be refreshing sometimes. Occasionally, I stumble across a thought that I would like to consider more thoroughly at a later time. Often, though, I can just let them go and be freed of their clutter. The only other time I am able to do so is in savasana, the resting posture: corpse pose. It's easier than it once was, but there are still thoughts I wish were not even there to begin with; memories I don't wish to have, heartaches, words said that cannot be erased, feelings that still strike a chord.....

Funny how the difficult thoughts float to the surface. The other day, I told my husband that the painful feelings we give voice to, those related to fear, anger and pain, seem to have less power when shared, while those related to love, joy and lightness become exponentially more powerful when spoken aloud.

Perhaps today, while I am alone with the pool, I will speak aloud the thoughts as they come to mind. Probably not, because I will feel silly......but I imagine if I can get past my own self, speaking them aloud will help them to grow or diminish as necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment