Sunday, September 16, 2012

me, and only me!

The question: What will you do with your evening alone in a hotel room?

The answer: Be me!!

The first thing I did after checking in, to be perfectly honest, was cry. Not the sobbing, core shaking kind; just the full eyes leaking down the cheeks kind. As I looked around the room, I realized that even if it were the Taj Mahal, it would still feel drab without the love of my life. I miss him, and it's only been three days.

In fact, I've never missed him this much--as a married woman. I sit here, with two other tabs open on my screen (Pinterest and Facebook, of course!! haha), and recall the first time I went away for the weekend without him. How long we'd been dating is irrelevant, and lost in the archives of my mind, but I clearly see the photo I took with me and I acutely feel the tight knot of feeling--a strong combination of love, sorrow, anticipation and joy--that my last thought each night, and my first each morning.

Tonight, I don't have a photo propped up by my pillow, but I do have plenty on my computer and on my phone. And each one makes me smile, remembering each event, each moment, each vacation and silly time a picture was taken, and the love projected, and protected, by our relationship. Tonight, I do feel the same knot. One difference: tonight I am wearing one of his undershirts as my nightshirt, and instead of having his high school ring sitting next to my keys, I have two rings from him on my left hand.

So how did I spend my evening alone in a hotel room? After I cried, just a little, I did a little yoga, booted up my computer, and called him. And I told him everything in my heart, along with the stories of our weekend. We laughed, we shared, and I felt better; more like myself. Then I watched The Blind Side, painted all twenty of my nails, and browsed Facebook and Pinterest. And threaded together some words, of course.

I'm bein' me. And it's all good now.

No comments:

Post a Comment