Saturday, September 8, 2012

molehills and mountains

This morning, as on so many other "easy mornings" -- the occasions few and far between when we have no specific reason or time to wake -- for so many years, I woke before my husband, and got to watch him sleep. Of the many things that marriage "is," I think observing him in his sleep is one of my favorites. The peacefulness, the hint of a smile, the hint of a young boy in his face all intrigue me. Usually, I can only resist a light kiss on his nose, his forehead or his hand for fifteen minutes or so. Many times, I get up then and sew, write, make coffee and breakfast. Today, though, I grabbed my book and read.

I suppose it's just the turning of the pages that draws him out of his slumber; I don't know exactly. Before long this morning -- just four or six pages -- I heard him say, "I just don't know how you do it. I am still so very tired. I'm exhausted." Not wanting to make noise, in case he wanted to sleep some more (his eyes were not even opened yet), I smiled in response. Our son needed to get to band camp, and had asked that I get him up in time, which is why I had not snuggled back in again when I awoke. We had walked to the high school football game last night, stopped at our friends' house on the way home to visit, and, after walking home, discovered our youngest son was still up, and, since our second son was in transit from the game and post-game activities, we had a couple of texts to wait for. By the time we got to sleep, it was sometime around 1am. Today was a good day for an easy morning!

Tomorrow we can have one more -- the last for a while. Saturday morning practices, meets and competitions begin next week, along with a trip for me. The next easy morning we can foresee will be around Thanksgiving. For many years, I've dreaded the loss of this special time together for the long season our family's preferred sport covers. For the first time since we've had children, I'm not looking at the change as being "bad," per se. Rather, I find myself looking forward to the holiday breaks, of course, but more to the renewed day to day interactions and making the most of each bit of time we do get to share. Easy mornings are no longer the only times I see as "our time" together. We have time -- we make time -- far more easily than ever before. Next week, it will take more creative thinking, that's for sure! But, for the first time in a very, very long time (read: a decade, maybe??) the challenge seems smaller; a molehill rather than a mountain.

Our easy mornings now melt into our easy days. For that, I am eternally grateful, and say so as much as possible. Love is beautiful (and patient and kind, and doesn't judge and all that good stuff, too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment