Sunday, November 11, 2012

admiration and pride

It's Veteran's Day today. Please, go find a Veteran, and say, "Thank you."

As I sat in Church this morning, gazing at the flag moved to a place of honor near the altar for the weekend, I found myself thinking about my favorite veteran. I know, and have known, a number of men and women who have served our country both in peacetime, as well as wartime. My father was a Marine, but drilled into me (pun intended) that he was not a veteran, as he had only served in peacetime. I'm not sure why, exactly, he saw it that way, when I've heard many times that anyone who has served is a veteran, but he was vehement. Perhaps his strong feelings were related to stories he may have heard from his godmother, Aunt Alice Watts, who was an Army Nurse in WWII. Perhaps there was something else, or someone else who shaped his views of his own time in the military, or maybe Grampa Henry was adamant, since he himself was a little bitter about not being able to serve in WWII because his job as a prison guard was too important stateside. Maybe it was the genuine modesty I've felt and observed from so many. I do know that whatever Dad's reasons, they were voiced strongly enough to me to have never asked again.

My favorite Veteran is someone I can't thank enough. He has done so much -- professionally, and for my family, and for me personally. I admire him: his courage, his dedication, his strength, his faith. I am grateful in ways I cannot express for his friendship, and his love. We have had discussions on any subject under the sun, and quite a few under the moon, as well. While I was in school, and he was deployed -- twice, there were days when I would IM him, asking his opinion on thoughts, questions, issues, and would fill him in on average, everyday things going on in my household. Carefully, we all chose what to include in packages to him -- a Christmas tree once, ping pong balls, tabletop toys -- with the cookies I made and wrapped carefully. Those packages were filled with anything we could find to express our love and admiration for him, and our hopes and prayers for his safety. That he knew. What he may not have known is that those packages were also filled with tears of worry for him and sadness for his family, missing him. They were filled with laughter, too, that the boys and I exploded with as we talked about the last time we were together, or what we should do when we saw him next. Once, I asked him what he missed most that day while we talked, and he said the snow. I had told him we had just gotten our first of the season. I went out that day and lay down in it to make a snow angel, just for him.

The blessing of this man has enriched my life, and I cannot thank God enough for him. He makes me mad sometimes , and there have been times when I wondered just who he thinks he is. And I'm quite sure he has the same thoughts about me sometimes. But when it comes down to the wire, he's always been there for me. His wife and my husband admire our friendship, too, and, wonderfully, it expands to include both families: we consider both to be just one, in many ways.

It is because of him that I go out of my way to thank anyone I see in uniform whenever possible. It is because of him that I cry every time I say that simple "Thank you for your service." It is because of him that I stay and listen to the response. For me, it would be much easier to just say thanks and keep moving. Most of the time, the response is very brief, possibly even rehearsed; but the look in their eyes.....that's the part that is important to me. The part that tugs at my heart and makes it overflow. The part that makes me cry every single time. Usually, afterwards, I'll send him a text, thanking him, too. It's been a while.

Today, looking at each star visible to me, each stripe on the flag, and the eagle atop the pole, wings outstretched, I thanked God once again for all who have served our country, giving of themselves -- selflessly -- and the immeasurable sacrifices they make, day after day. I lowered my head, too, at the realization, the admission, that always comes next: that I could not do it; I could never be in that uniform, and put myself on the line like they do. I admire each and every member of our Armed Forces, and I wish I could thank them all.

The best I can do today is to thank one in particular. Paul, thank you. I love you, and I admire you, and I am proud to be considered more than just your sister-in-love, to be considered your friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment