Tuesday, November 13, 2012

wordsmithing

I've worked with lots of words today. Lots and LOTS of words. I listened to the words in my own head when starting the computers for the day, and used context clues to decipher an email sent to me by an English teacher. I passed on some words stuffed full with my unspoken opinion. I suppressed some choice words when the L O N G stream of words I was entering into our database was suddenly interrupted with an "administrative error" message. (If I were a conspiracy theorist, I'd have some rather interesting words to share about the timing of that particular error, but I don't really want to get into that here, now!)

I shook my head at words that amounted to crazy talk from an otherwise sane person, then later shared said words with someone else, who found them to be equally inane. I listened to words that I found to be frustratingly judgemental, holier than thou, even, and could not, myself, find the words to say that would ultimately only have an affect on me. I didn't want to bring more personalities into the discussion -- although, any personality in it may have alleviated some of my distress! These were words that were hitting a little too close to home, and yet were quite off base. Stick to the facts; the ones that matter, not the ones that are shiny and intended to distract. (Life is a word problem.....)

I shared words that were uplifting: about my dad, shared interests, and widows' pence, questions and answers and how to find them both. [Yes, we shared Bible talk in the public school library. Words are pretty cool.] Words I sang from the two CDs I listened to this evening alternately uplifted and drained me; wonderfully emotional words expressing deep, heart-felt thoughts, dreams, fears.

I came home from work and spilled some words on a page, somewhere here in a draft, that may never see the light of day again, but needed to get out of my head, out of my heart, before they spoiled the landscape of my soul. Words of contempt for those who have never walked in those shoes -- not for any reason other than they think they wouldn't. 'Contempt' is too strong a word for what I really felt, but the words burned like acid in my mind, stirring up stronger feelings than necessary. Spreading them across a page diluted them, gave them less power, less control of my head, so I could get back to myself, to the realness, the facts. I played Words with Friends.

I read words that confused the heck out of me, simply because there was no proofreading done. (Giving the benefit of the doubt there--could just be the guy still has no idea how to put together a newsletter. Or has never cross-referenced anything.) I checked, and double-checked, then re-checked those words, and still came up a few cents short on meaning. Oh, well, some words are just not worth as much.

But....

Most importantly, I wrote words that meant something to me. Words that cleansed me and warmed my heart, while wetting my cheeks. Words meant for one set of eyes alone. Of all the words I used and encountered and shared today, those words are the most dear, and most important of all. And with them, the dark-time will be less daunting. I am enlightened.

No comments:

Post a Comment