Friday, November 9, 2012

not so mellow yellow

Tomorrow, despite being November, will be a beautiful day to paint the porch. I am so excited, I can't even stand it! We have had a tendency to wait on stuff. We have "ultimate plans" which seem to make all the little things wait. Lots of ideas for projects start with "Eventually, we'd like to...." and then end with ".....so we'll just wait to do this." The result is that we have half done and undone alongside really should be done and could be done. The unfortunate byproduct is that the place looks a mess no matter how clean it is, notwithstanding clutter. Painting the porch is the beginning of our new outlook on living space: it needs to look good to feel good.

You see, it's a vicious cycle: the floor is ugly, the floor gets dirty, the floor is ugly so why expend extra effort to get it spic and span, just make it livable, the floor is ugly. We've started working on that one, too, with the current result of an even uglier (and harder to clean) floor, BUT, at the very least, it is our choice at the moment, rather than the ugly floor we inherited with the house 17 years ago. (See how long it takes for us to catch up with ourselves sometimes?) To be fair, part of the reason is the amount of money it costs to fix up some of this stuff, balanced by the amount of money it costs to feed and clothe our family. No one goes hungry around here; I'd rather skimp on how the floor looks than on my kids' health and welfare. Paint, though, is relatively inexpensive. I don't think anyone will starve this week because the porch will look much nicer.

Have I mentioned that I am way over the top excited??

Guy has already scraped, sanded and washed, and I have already worked on the priming. It's all ready to go, and I was so bummed that we would probably have to start all over again in the spring, since all kinds of "stuff" -- good and not so much -- had come up, preventing me from doing the painting proper. Then the wondrous forecast of 59 degrees tomorrow and 65 on Sunday! Woot!! You will find me at the top of Dad's old wooden ladder, probably wearing one of Dad's old shirts, makin' pretty, listening to music and belting out songs while wearing my hot pink earbuds (that way no one can hear me, right?) and grinning from ear to ear.

If you need me, that's where I'll be! Wrapped up in my joy at seeing the job complete and the memories that flow freely from the brush and through the music when mixed with fresh air. It will be a good weekend. Thanks, Lord, for the ways and means; for the ability and the desire; and most of all, for the guidance and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment