Friday, November 23, 2012

along the way

Life twists and turns. Sometimes it makes sense, or we have an idea that we can control it. In reality, most of it happens and we deal with things well, or not so well, depending on where we are. It's a journey, and we can either focus on the destination, or we can enjoy the ride. I avoid doing either one exclusively because occasionally, when I am focused on the future, I miss out on the little things that make today beautiful, and vice versa. The trickiest thing is to find the balance between endgame and realtime. Each today is what carries me to tomorrow, and the goals set there.

Being off-balance gets me off course, of course. And it's also easy to forget that balance is a delicate thing. I'd like to rely on others to tell me I'm headed in the wrong direction, but that's not fair to them or to me. I have to chart my own course--even for common goals. Working together toward a goal also involves my own choices, my own twists and turns. That can be hard to remember.

Today, I'm going to focus on the ride, the journey: its sights and sounds, its bumps, its accelerations and slopes. I'm going to feel the joy in the here and now (the hear and know?) and let my (our) goals remain a star on the map. Today, the map shall be a guide. I'll make a conscious effort to slide the scale in that direction, so that when I get back on course, I'll feel it and embrace it. For it's the accidental slides that throw things off kilter.

Today is family, love, fun, and thankfulness, all over again. Thanksgiving, the day, may happen once a year, but thanksgiving, the attitude, feels wonderful every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment